Beware False Promises
I don’t know about you, but since the 1st of the year, my Facebook feed and web browser windows keep relentlessly showing ads for exercise videos that claim “It’s like having a personal trainer right in your living room!”
Honestly, it makes me cringe every time I see one, because a video is the absolute OPPOSITE of having a trainer in your living room. In fact, as educated trainers with a deep passion for the clients we work with, our team strives to be exponentially better than any video! Here’s what I mean:
- A good trainer listens to you; a video cannot.
- A good trainer watches your form and your non-verbal communication; a video cannot.
- A good trainer tells you that you CAN right when you are starting to doubt; a video cannot.
- A good trainer asks you how your body feels today, and adjusts the workout accordingly; a video cannot.
- A good trainer jumps up and down, and hugs you, and cheers when you succeed; a video cannot.
- A good trainer believes you are capable of more than you think; a video cannot.
- A good trainer answers the phone when you call, checks on you throughout the week, and reminds you that you are important and absolutely capable of reaching your goals. A video cannot.
If you want to exercise along with a video, that is awesome. I hope it is fun and challenging and easy to follow, and that you know your body well enough to modify accordingly.
But if what you want is the help of a trainer, PLEASE invest your time and money into finding a good one. The investment you make working with a real-life pro will continue to pay for itself YEARS down the line! But don’t take my word for it, read what our clients have to say.
OK, stepping down from my soapbox… 😉